Subject: Re: Donations for Devcon 2008

Re: Donations for Devcon 2008

From: Lars Goldschlager <lars.gold_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:00:08 -0400

I'm not yet a developer or even a friggin contributor to rockbox
(yet!) but I want to share a little part of my oppinion about this as
a latinamerican who has had problems with conventions a few times
before.

In general should I put on my batteries, do a lot of stuff for rockbox
and feel worthy of attending the 2008 con the cheapest solution as a
latinamerican would be USA, BUT there is another aspect you guys need
to consider, immigration. Right now my US visa is expired, and getting
a new one even when possible is difficult, and even when I'm not a
terrorist, nor a public dissident figure, I've heard too many "horror"
stories about the state of entering the US right now (and being
bounced back) to gamble a barely bought ticket on the possibility of
being bounced back... so even if I don't assist the con I urge you
guys to also consider how easy or hard it is for foreign assistants to
get a visa for the countries you're deciding on, and how difficult the
entry process is as part of the decission process.

This also adds some strain on the timeline of deciding where to hold
it, since visas shouldn't take months to get, but they're generally
not a 1 day process either, so people who WILL go need to get theirs
ready beforehand.

Greets from hot south america, Lars.