Subject: RE: What is life, unix, and everything?

RE: What is life, unix, and everything?

From: Jerry Van Baren <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:31:30 -0400

Tyler Wood wrote:
> Hi,
> What is unix and is it accessible for the blind?
> thanks
> tyler

What is unix? People always stop by my desk and say "Jerry, I have a
quick question" and I have to agree that the question is quick, but the
answer is NOT!

Here is a brief start on the answer:

Is it accessible for the blind? Traditionally it is one of the most
accessible operating system since it traditionally is text-based. When
you add a GUI, it becomes harder to make it accessible. There are a
couple of GUIs and many, many window managers that run on unix/unix-like
OSes, with varying degrees of accessibility. The answer is "yes, no,

Sorry I'm not more helpful, but you basically asked a substantial subset
of the question of the meaning of life, the universe, and everything
and I just answered "42."

P.S. Please start a new thread cleanly. See #2