Subject: Re: ihp120 software

Re: ihp120 software

From: Dave Hooper <dave_at_beermex.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:53:33 +0100

>> Thanks. This is probably a stupid question but I am new to this stuff.
>> How do you tell which model your player is if you can't read it? I bought
>> it used.
>
> The H (or IHP as they're now known) 20 has a 20gig HD, the 40 has 40GB.
> The 20GB is a single-platter drive, so the player is thinner than the 40
> which is dual-platter. The H140 is approx 23mm thick at the top. Apart
> from that they're identical (which is why the firmware works for both).

In fact it's the other way around: they used to be called IHP120 and IHP140
but they were renamed to H120 and H140 (due to trademark claims by
Hewlett-Packard on the "HP"). But you say you have an H140, so you should
download the H120/140 firmware - and NOT the H100 or H110 firmware from that
same page. The H100 and H110 firmware is not compatible with the H140!