Subject: RE: New port, question about hidden partitions

RE: New port, question about hidden partitions

From: Bryn Smith <>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 14:19:07 +1000

[] On Behalf Of Jacob Rau
Sent: Friday, 3 August 2007 1:34 PM
To: Rockbox development
Subject: New port, question about hidden partitions

>Also, I discovered an audio codec chip--a WM9711G. I found a datasheet
online for the WM9711L, and it says >nothing specifically about MP3 or
MP4...does that mean the processor does this? Do I know at this point
whether >or not this is a HW codec or a SW codec?

I just had a look on the Wolfson product page, the WM9711 is an AC97 codec -
so it converts between analogue and digital audio - for a better explanation. You'll have to
see what else it could be connected to - as I understand it, a DSP will
usually be used to provide the AC97 signal (which could be a separate device
or integrated into the main processor.)

Hope this helps,