Subject: Another port, is it possible?

Another port, is it possible?

From: Ian Hawdon <ian.hawdon_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 12:30:18 +0100

Hello, I am one of the developers from S1MP3.ORG, our project on making a
replacement firmware for the Actions ATJ2085 based MP3 players seems to have
ground to a halt!

I was wondering if it would be possible to extend the rockbox project to
these players. Although the player's memory size is alot smaller than most
players (eg, some only have 128MB!) alot of rockbox's features are not
needed (eg, the Clock as the player's current clock system doesn't function
and resets when the battery is taken out, and alot of the newer players have
power switches on the side that disconnects the battery.

Most of the players have an Actions ATJ2085 CPU chip
http://www.actions.com.cn/en/product.aspx?id=10 and can indeed play OGG
files (though their website doesn't say this)
We have managed to get quite a bit of data for the classic player and it's
hosted here: http://s1mp3.org/en/docs_hwspecs.php

The development Wiki with more info is
http://wiki.s1mp3.org/index.php/Dev:Main Have a good look here as there is
lots here that is not on the hwspecs page

As I am only the UI Artist for the S1MP3 project, I wouldn't be any good at
coding the thing, but I have made some mockups in the original player's
128x32 resolution:

Welcome Screen: http://www.op-ezy.co.uk/rockbox/s1mp3/start-screen.png
The Rockbox Menu: http://www.op-ezy.co.uk/rockbox/s1mp3/menu-mockup.png
Now Playing Mode: http://www.op-ezy.co.uk/rockbox/s1mp3/playing-mockup.png
Same as above but on a drawing of the player:
http://www.op-ezy.co.uk/rockbox/s1mp3/Player_mock.png

There are other player's based on the same system, some have colour screens,
including the following sizes (but not limited to): 96x24, 128x32 (most
common B/W), 96x64, 128x64, 128x128, 128x160

I look forward to your replies

--
Ian Hawdon (ian_hawdon)
http://www.s1mp3.org (SWAN's home page)