Subject: Re: Another port, is it possible?

Re: Another port, is it possible?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 13:46:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Ian Hawdon wrote:

> Hello, I am one of the developers from S1MP3.ORG

Welcome to our merry corner of the world!

> I was wondering if it would be possible to extend the rockbox project to
> these players.

I'm quite sure it can, given enough time and effort. But there are some
issues, and I'll address them further down.

> Most of the players have an Actions ATJ2085 CPU chip
> http://www.actions.com.cn/en/product.aspx?id=10 and can indeed play OGG
> files (though their website doesn't say this)

I'd say that this CPU/microcontroller is the most limiting factor to get
Rockbox on these players: Rockbox is only built for and running on 32 bit cpu
cores, so this Z80 8/16? bit will require some work to get Rockbox for. We
once had it buildable for a 16bit CPU (calmrisc for one of the older Archos
gmini models), but that particular port was abandoned and most of the long/int
cleanups of those days are likely gone by now.

Is there even a gcc-fork or other free and good compiler for it?

Also, the limited amount of RAM might be a bit tricky to deal with.

Does it really play/decode the music with this CPU? Do you happen to know at
what speed it runs?

So, it will require a few dedicated and skilled hackers with this hardware to
make a Rockbox port reality.

These are just my opinions of course.