Subject: Re: Another port, is it possible?

Re: Another port, is it possible?

From: Bluechip <csbluechip_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:37:49 +0100

>>Most of the players have an Actions ATJ2085 CPU chip
>>http://www.actions.com.cn/en/product.aspx?id=10 and can indeed play OGG
>>files (though their website doesn't say this)
>
>I'd say that this CPU/microcontroller is the most limiting factor to
>get Rockbox on these players: Rockbox is only built for and running
>on 32 bit cpu cores, so this Z80 8/16?

Yes. 8data; 16address; Port mapped IO

>Is there even a gcc-fork or other free and good compiler for it?

No, but the z88dk.org guys offered to make any changes required to
their devkit to support the device.

>Also, the limited amount of RAM might be a bit tricky to deal with.

20K if the s1mp3 discoveries are accurate

>Does it really play/decode the music with this CPU?

No, it has a DSP in the all-in-one chip ...the chip also contains
USB, Keyboard (via GPIO lines) and LCD.

>Do you happen to know at what speed it runs?

20MHz if memory serves me correctly

>So, it will require a few dedicated and skilled hackers with this
>hardware to make a Rockbox port reality.

"wiRe" would be a good person to work with: s1mp3.de

>These are just my opinions of course.

They're pretty much spot-on.

BC