Subject: Files&Folders vs Metadata

Files&Folders vs Metadata

From: Basil Dozhdalev <>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:13:46 +0400

I donít know for sure where to ask questions like this so I asking here.
I understand there are two main ways for managing the music on a DAP: Files and Folders or Metadata.
Files and Folders use standard File System like FAT or FAT32.
Metadata way is building a database which stores all significant metadata like Song Name, Artist and Album for each music file stored on Player. User then search for songs using metadata based hierarchy.
As far I understand, metadata still uses standard File System, but it has another database layer with metadata above the standard FAT database.
So I guess Metadata method needs more resources than File System method. Am I right?
Can a Metadata Database be implemented on weak processors like old Sigmatel or Actions?
I saw Metadata Search on a STMP35XX player and the performance was terrible. Very long system loading time and slow navigation. Is this a fundamental flaw or just a poor implementation?
Play free games, earn tickets, get cool prizes! Join Live Search Club.†