Subject: Re: A question about internally used plugins

Re: A question about internally used plugins

From: Jonas Häggqvist <>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:30:27 +0200

DervishD wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand things correctly, the
> purpose of having plugins is to add functionality to rockbox without
> having it in the "core", so to say.

> So, the reason of having some functionality implemented using a
> plugin instead of having it built into "core" is to make the function
> optional, am I wrong?

You are indeed wrong. The reason is to save space. The larger the core gets,
the less memory is available - this is especially important on the Archos
targets which are quite limited. This functionality is implemented using
plugins simply because it's possible to do.

I don't think you should put any code into the core for this reason, but
separating the plugins used by the system from the regular plugins (into a
separate category) might be useful.

Jonas Häggqvist