Subject: Re: A question about internally used plugins

Re: A question about internally used plugins

From: DervishD <iaudio_at_dervishd.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:49:39 +0200

 * Jonas Hggqvist <rasher_at_rasher.dk> dixit:
> DervishD wrote:
> > So, the reason of having some functionality implemented using a
> > plugin instead of having it built into "core" is to make the function
> > optional, am I wrong?
>
> You are indeed wrong. The reason is to save space.

    As I imagined down in my message. Sincerely, I didn't thought that
space was an issue.

> The larger the core gets, the less memory is available - this is
> especially important on the Archos targets which are quite limited.
> This functionality is implemented using plugins simply because it's
> possible to do.

    Right, then. I saw that credits.rock was 8kB and that
properties.rock was just 2kB, so I didn't thought there was an space
constrain.

> I don't think you should put any code into the core for this reason,
> but separating the plugins used by the system from the regular plugins
> (into a separate category) might be useful.

    Well, that sounds great. I'm thinking about something in the lines
of "/.rockbox/rocks/system", or even their own directory. Probably just
making sure that if the plugind doesn't exist nothing will crash will be
enough :?

    Thanks for your message and the information :)))

    Ral Nez de Arenas Coronado