Subject: Re: A question about internally used plugins

Re: A question about internally used plugins

From: DervishD <iaudio_at_dervishd.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:57:38 +0200

    Hi Peter :)

 * Peter D'Hoye <peter.dhoye_at_telenet.be> dixit:
> > The "properties.rock" may be much more useful, and incorporating it
> > into core may be a good idea. Having it connected to a menu is
> > weird. The user may think that the function is performed by the
> > firmware instead of by a plugin. I find this very important, and
> > having it into core is, IMHO, a very good idea.
>
> My initial version was incorporated in the core and then moved to a
> plugin because we agreed that this funtionality is not used on a
> regular base and using plugins as an overlay system seemed like a good
> idea to save space.

    Well, "properties.rock" is about 1% of the core size, so I did
assume that space wasn't the reason. Now I know I was wrong O:)

> When using dircache, it causes an unneeded disk spinup but that's a
> small price to pay imho.

    It's not heavily used, probably, so

> > I can prepare a patch to "disconnect" the plugins from the
> > menus, except for "shortcuts", which looks like a work in
> > progress.
>
> I'm sure that any patch that greatly increases core size will be
> rejected with pleasure ;)

    Greatly? 3kB? ;)) Well, I won't make patches that increase core
size, anyway. I really think that keeping the core small is a great
idea.

> If otoh you have suggestions for other rarely used stuff to be moved
> to a plugin, please say so :)

    I don't know if the stuff I'm thinking about is rarely used, but
probably a couple of things could be made plugins. The problem I see
suggesting things is that making them plugins is a tradeoff: size, disk
spinup, usage patterns (related to disk spinups and battery usage), etc.

    By now it's enough for me to know that space may be a problem and
that any good candidate which is not used heavily enough to grant it a
place into core should be implemented as a plugin.

    If this week I can afford the time, I'll try to prepare a patch so
the "Plugins" menu doesn't just return to the file browser if a plugin
category is empty.

    Thanks for the information and thanks for "properties.rock" :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado