Subject: Re: Licensing and Copyright Issues

Re: Licensing and Copyright Issues

From: Tapio Kelloniemi <spammi.helevetti_at_nbl.fi>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:42:58 +0300

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 10:47:26AM +0100, Mike Holden wrote:
> For the future, could we devise a "Rockbox organisation" to pick up
> copyrights in the event of death, but the individual holds them for as
> long as they are alive, in the absence of other specific instructions.
> Rather like a "software will", so the individual still owns the copyright
> while they are alive, and are able to make other explicit instructions at
> any time regarding the "inheritance"?

Well, I'm not a developer (and not even a contributor at this point). However,
I believe that this "software will" would require writing and signing legal
papers (and sending them to another side of the planet). IMHO it would be much
more straight forward if all copyrights were assigned to a single organization
(or possibly even a single trusted person). This would also help in
situations where a developer disappears, as Rockbox is growning and more
people contribute code with their own copyrights, the risk increases.

--
Tapio