Subject: Re: Licensing and Copyright Issues

Re: Licensing and Copyright Issues

From: Karl Kurbjun <kkurbjun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:00:26 -0600

Are the DRM clauses still in the GPLv3? I personally do not like DRM and I
would rather it have never come about, but in the off chance that a company
really decided that they liked the project and wanted to use it as their
primary firmware, what would those clauses mean for us? Would a company,
for example Sansa, be able to use our code if they wanted to have Rhapsody
compatibility (assuming it was open source)? Also, what are the
implications of the Patent provisions for said potential company? While
they don't apply to us now, I am interested in their consequences and the
possible limit that are placed on us and the code. I am just going off the
Linux concerns that were raised and I will admit that I have not read the
license. It's very possible that these are issues that should not be a
concern, and I would be interested to hear other opinions.

-Karl