Subject: Re: Licensing and Copyright Issues

Re: Licensing and Copyright Issues

From: Jonas Häggqvist <>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:10:45 +0200

Dave Chapman wrote:
> 1) We start to incorporate GPLv3 code like espeak into Rockbox. Our own
> "any version" license allows us to do that, but then Rockbox as a whole
> would be GPLv3.

For the reasons Daniel gave in his very first response, I don't see this as
being a viable option. The source files do refer to a specific version of
the GPL - namely the one in the COPYING file, which is version 2. I don't
see how that can be seen as not specifying a version.

For the record, I'm philosophically against the GPLv3, because I don't see
tivoisation as a problem (the code is free, good code gets used more,
everyone wins - even the end-user. Just not as much as if they had bought
free hardware). That said, I would never dream of arguing against going
GPLv2-or-later or even GPLv3 for Rockbox, including my minimal contributions.

Jonas Häggqvist