Subject: Re: Port of Mini-XML library to Rockbox: making progress.

Re: Port of Mini-XML library to Rockbox: making progress.

From: Daniel Weck <>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 23:47:06 +0100

Hi guys !
Here's a small update about dynamic memory management and the MiniXML

On 14 Sep 2007, at 13:03, Daniel Weck wrote:
>> I may be a bit biased here, but one alternative for use is dbestfit:
> Thanks, I'll take a look.

I have now totally switched from Doom's implementation to dbestfit
(with the dmalloc+bmalloc solution).

I am currently testing my code against the simulator and the
Gigabeat, and it works consistently. The crashes I experienced before
were due to how static variables are loaded and kept alive when
running and closing plugins in Rockbox. I have modified the memory
management code to cater for that and added new initialization

On a side note, bmalloc can allocate several non-contiguous memory
pools, which could be nice for plugins which really need lots of
memory (get_audio_buffer() + get_plugin_buffer()).

I can now concentrate on the XML parsing code, which works pretty
well, bar some weird minor glitches which do not happen on the
desktop-compiled version.

I am "cleaning" the mini-xml library to minimize the footprint and
keep the functionality down to the strict necessary. I'm mostly
interested in the SAX-like event system, whereby I can fully control
whether/how the XML tree is built.

Cheers, Dan.