Subject: RE: IRC channel

RE: IRC channel

From: Peter D'Hoye <peter.dhoye_at_telenet.be>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:33:52 +0200

> It seems that we have had a big surge in “annoyances”
> in #rockbox lately. To put it short, do people think
> the time has come where we need to move to the split model?
> #rockbox (for support), #rockbox-dev (for development),
> #rockbox-community (for offtopic and social). All channels
> currently exist so there is no issue with that area. This
> mainly gives developers another place to go to where they
> can have development talk without having to talk over others
> who just want their Sansa to work.

Note down one vote against it, my only concern is that many times when
somebody comes in to ask for support, they are in trouble and need a dev for
the hints, not another user. And I rather not follow another channel (I
already totally ignore -community).

Rockbox is growing big, but I would see the split as a negative side to
that.

If we keep having many install instructions, maybe we need a separate
'getting started' pdf? Most gear I buy has a manual and a getting started,
the latter I read because of install instructions, I mostly don't rtfm.
And finding your way in the wiki is painfull - most users never find the
page that mentions the recovery procedure for their player.

So I rather have people referred to such a doc than to stuff them in another
channel

my ˆ 0.02

Peter