Subject: Re: Licensing and Copyright Issues

Re: Licensing and Copyright Issues

From: Daniel Ankers <dan-rockbox_at_weirdo.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:55:29 +0100 (BST)

> Hi all,
>
> Recently the IRC channel has been rather full of discussion around the
> current licensing of Rockbox (GPLV2 is how most people interpret it,
> but it *is* a little unclear), and whether or not we should move to
> GPLV3 in order to include code from other such projects (espeak is the
> primary example here).
>
> This brings up further interesting questions, not least of which is:
>
> If we want to move to GPLV3, we need the permission of all Copyright
> holders to the Rockbox source code in order to do so.

Just another thought (sorry for reawakening this old topic...):
We've taken several optimised functions from Linux in the past - those
should probably be audited to see if they are GPL V2 only or any future
version. If they are V2 only then we will need to roll back to the
original Rockbox versions (or get permission from the copyright holders)
in order to change our GPL version, and we must make it clear that Rockbox
as a whole is V2 only.

Dan