Subject: Re: XML for language files

Re: XML for language files

From: Jonas Häggqvist <>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:10:09 +0200

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> Jonas Häggqvist wrote:
>> I still doubt translators will care much one way or the other, even if
>> they
>> were to edit the file by hand. For now, I'll go ahead and have a go at
>> implementing genlang using this XML format.
> One additional question: is the XML parser module included in standard
> Perl? Or do for example Cygwin users have to install an additional Perl
> module?

Ah, we hit a problem there (discussed on IRC, mirroring it here for
completeness). It seems that Cygwin does not package any non-core modules
for Perl, so we're out of luck for any XML parser. This means that we should
either abandon the idea completely, require users to manually install
XML::LibXML (which seems to be the best offering - depends on libxml2 which
*is* available in Cygwin) or add it to the rockbox cygwin mirror (this means
of course that someone would have to package it).

Jonas Häggqvist