Subject: Re: XML for language files

Re: XML for language files

From: Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren_at_smiths-aerospace.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:30:12 -0400

Jonas Häggqvist wrote:
> Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
>> Jonas Häggqvist wrote:
>>> I still doubt translators will care much one way or the other, even if
>>> they
>>> were to edit the file by hand. For now, I'll go ahead and have a go at
>>> implementing genlang using this XML format.
>> One additional question: is the XML parser module included in standard
>> Perl? Or do for example Cygwin users have to install an additional Perl
>> module?
>
> Ah, we hit a problem there (discussed on IRC, mirroring it here for
> completeness). It seems that Cygwin does not package any non-core modules
> for Perl, so we're out of luck for any XML parser. This means that we should
> either abandon the idea completely, require users to manually install
> XML::LibXML (which seems to be the best offering - depends on libxml2 which
> *is* available in Cygwin) or add it to the rockbox cygwin mirror (this means
> of course that someone would have to package it).

I'm running cygwin perl for an unrelated purpose and my installation
supports Expat:
   use XML::Parser
with no extra work.

$ find /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/XML/
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/XML/
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/XML/Parser
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/XML/Parser/.packlist
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/XML/Parser/Expat
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/XML/Parser/Expat/Expat.bs
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/XML/Parser/Expat/Expat.dll
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/XML/Parser/Expat/libExpat.dll.a

gvb