Subject: Re: developing rockbox page for blind users

Re: developing rockbox page for blind users

From: Paul Erkens <pjealt_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:40:06 +0200

Hi Daniel,

Yes it's a good idea. I'm willing to subscribe. It's also a good way to keep
all lists and communities on-topic. Many blind-related issues are not
interesting for sighted people, and vice versa. I.e. sighted people who
don't use any special computer reading aids, won't be interested in these
messages, while blind people don't care about graphics, themes and that lot.

Besides, many blind users have found the rockbox site hard to navigate.
Information you want is always there, but it's usually very hard to find out
where it is. On a blind community rockbox list, I would not hesitate to ask
for a direct link to something if someone already has it, while on this
list, I'm trying to avoid that, because I don't want to be judged stupid.

One potential worry I have though, is that when only blind people
participate on such a list, some pieces of valuable knowledge that only
sighted people can provide, may become hard to get. For example: "My voice
won't read screen bla. Can anyone tell me what the display says here?" I'm
hoping therefore, that someone sighted will be willing to monitor the list,
and act as sort of a gateway, to avoid the blind community from being
isolated from the rockbox live sources.

Paul.