Subject: Re: developing rockbox page for blind users

Re: developing rockbox page for blind users

From: Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton47_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:12:20 +1000

On 21/09/2007 5:40 PM, Paul Erkens wrote:
> Hi Daniel,

Hi,

> Yes it's a good idea. I'm willing to subscribe. It's also a good way to
> keep all lists and communities on-topic. Many blind-related issues are
> not interesting for sighted people, and vice versa. I.e. sighted people
> who don't use any special computer reading aids, won't be interested in
> these messages, while blind people don't care about graphics, themes and
> that lot.

It isn't a new mailing list. It is a wiki page talking about how to
develop rockbox when you are blind. So the programming side of things.

> Besides, many blind users have found the rockbox site hard to navigate.
> Information you want is always there, but it's usually very hard to find
> out where it is. On a blind community rockbox list, I would not hesitate

Is it? I found the wiki well organized.

> to ask for a direct link to something if someone already has it, while
> on this list, I'm trying to avoid that, because I don't want to be
> judged stupid.

Well it is a wiki page not a mailing list.

> One potential worry I have though, is that when only blind people
> participate on such a list, some pieces of valuable knowledge that only
> sighted people can provide, may become hard to get. For example: "My
> voice won't read screen bla. Can anyone tell me what the display says
> here?" I'm hoping therefore, that someone sighted will be willing to
> monitor the list, and act as sort of a gateway, to avoid the blind
> community from being isolated from the rockbox live sources.

Again it isn't a mailing list. But I wouldn't repeat documentation from
other places in the wiki. If something is the same when you can see or
if you are blind then you can read the other pages talking about that
topic. Since setting up cygwin is quite complicated with a screenreader
then that is the sort of thing that should go on the wiki.
BTW I think I might have a setting up cygwin guide somewhere.

--
Daniel Dalton
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/