Subject: Re: Bootloader builds

Re: Bootloader builds

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:17:11 +0100

On 9/22/07, Tapio Kelloniemi <spammi.helevetti_at_nbl.fi> wrote:
> If I've understood correctly, bootloaders are built together with rockbox
> current builds, but current bootloaders cannot be downloaded from anywhere. Is
> there some reason for this? I'm using H300 and the bootloader is quite old, so
> I'm curious to know if a new version will be released in the near future.

Bootloaders are much more critical than usual builds -- a broken
bootloader can brick your player (this is not true for all players;
for example, the Ipods have a build-in recovery mode which works even
with a broken bootloader -- the H100 and H300 series in contrast can
get bricked quite easily with a broken bootloader and the only way of
recovering is using external hardware). Thus using an svn bootloader
is not recommended. Instead, bootloaders are released to ensure they
are working properly.

The bootloaders are build regularly from svn to ensure they build at
all. This does not guarantee that they function as expected.

 - Dominik