Subject: Re: ColdFire-rockbox and GCC 4.2.1

Re: ColdFire-rockbox and GCC 4.2.1

From: Nix <nix_at_esperi.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:32:25 +0100

On 25 Sep 2007, Tapio Kelloniemi spake thusly:
> Someone said (when talking about computers) that a fear of hassle is wisdom. I
> use a Linux from Scratch system, and therefore compile everything from the
> sources myself. I like bleeding edge, once compiled by system with CVS
> versions of Glibc and GCC (will not do it again though...). I really want GCC
> 4 because I would like to play with Ada and Rockbox. Ada support in
> gcc 3.4 is from the pit. Perhaps I'll try gcc 4.3 and CVS binutils next.

GCC puts almost all its pieces in versioned directories: if you compile
the older GCC with --program-prefix={triplet}-
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs then nothing much should clash
(it will overwrite a couple of manpages, but with identical
replacements).

where {triplet} is the config.guess triplet of your target (I can't
remember the triplet for coldfire off the top of my head, sorry).

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds