Subject: Re: Configurability; was: Re: Voice patches

Re: Configurability; was: Re: Voice patches

From: Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton47_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 21:22:53 +1000

On 7/10/2007 8:31 PM, Tapio Kelloniemi wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 07:12:27PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> > On 7/10/2007 6:28 PM, Tapio Kelloniemi wrote:
> > >1. Make all buttons configurable. This is preferable and it would be
> > > extremely useful for everybody, including sighted folks. Devs have
> > > however
> > > decided that such a feature will not make its way to RockBox, because
> > > it would introduce a support hell.
> >
> > All buttons? Or just the rec button and maybe a long press of play and
> > possibly a long press of ab (h300).
>
> All buttons, since many players, such as ipod and x5, don't have spare
> buttons. Short and long presses of play and rec are already bound. Therefore,
> as I have pointed out many times earlier, it is necessary to make all buttons
> configurable so that owners of different types of devices are not unnecessarily
> penalised (by not giving them an opportunity to configure their DAP's
> behaviour).

They did choose that device. But that won't happen.
1. To confusing for everyone.
2. To hard to give basic support.
3. The devs won't like it.

> > I doubt anyone would except all buttons.
> > Actually there is a patch in the tracker with a configurable rec button.
> > FS#5555
>
> As I once said, everybody cannot be made happy at the same time, except by
> granting complete control over button mappings (taking hardware restrictions
> into account).

Yes I would like to see every button configurable. But I know it won't
happen.
I was talking to JdGordon on irc and he said we don't like configurable
buttons in rockbox.
And that was just the rec button. So I can't see him saying:
"We won't except just a configurable rec button. But we are more than
  happy to except every button configurable!"

If the devs don't want something it won't be excepted.

> > But yes I think the rec button should be configurable. I don't know how
> > that will affect support.
>
> What a pity, if one owns an ipod. Not a problem for a H380 user...

Don't buy an ipod. :-) Well tell me this.
You need a button to scroll up and down lists and to select options.
Then you need a button for play and stop. If you own an ipod what button
is left?

Do you know how to code and do button mappings?

> Anyway these configurable buttons have been discussed to death and it is
> clear that they will not be reality, not at least until someone submits a
> patch.

No it won't even happen then. They already have FS#5555 in the tracker.

Are you blind? If so what do you think of a quick menu for blind users?

--
Daniel Dalton
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/