Subject: Re: Voice patches

Re: Voice patches

From: RaZorbacK <lists_at_sof-paradise.info>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 23:17:53 +0200

Stéphane Doyon wrote on 06.10.2007 05:21 :

> P7563, P6325 and P6171 should be ready for inclusion IMO.
> And kbd-accessible.diff from P6324 as well.

Definetely. Particularly the accessible keyboard that i can now use with
pleasure to add my radio stations. It was a pain when you are blind
before this patch.

> Depending on that, talk_file and playlist_catalog from P6323 are ready,
> as well as P6240: improved feedback in bookmark selection. I've had
> several positive comments about that one: it's useful, people like
> it. Could use testing on HWCODEC, if there are any HWCODEC voice users
> left around.

I have to say that i've made a custom build for some of my french
friends who are all blinds and the feedback about this improved bookmark
selection is really positive. You should really commit this one.

> P7653 also is good, although perhaps the setting I added in there is
> overkill and should always be on.

Personnally, having the ability to turn this one on or off should not be
suppressed.

> P6331 and P7777 are also ready.

Sure they are. I like to be able to know where I am on the fm band and
thus, being able to retrieve a radio i've heard and that i've not aded
to my preset list. And it's really usefull, ONCE AGAIN according to my
friends's feedbacks.

> -I'm considering implementing an alternate quick screen for blind users:
> something to put a few key functions closer at hand. We would like a
> quick way to have the time spoken, the Rockbox info menu is just too
> far. I'd like to put in a function that temporarily overrides file and
> dir .talk clips, for those times where you can't make out what the
> synthesizer was saying in that .talk clip, because it's a weird band name
> that you haven't heard before, and you need it spelled out jus this
> once.
good idea. It could be usefull when we made too-fast .talk clips for
example, as I met this problem only two days ago. The quick screen could
be really usefull for blind persons or even a car driver who would like
to change some settings only with a touch of a button.

> -Increase playback speed without affecting pitch. I'm not starting from
> scratch here, I have something more or less working, only the integration
> into Rockbox is still somewhat rough.

As in daisy books ? hmm interesting! Often requested by blind users.

> -Coarse navigation function: I once had an entire audiobook in a single
> track, lasting 24hours. It would be nice to be able to jump by some
> coarse increments like 5mins, 30mins, 3hours, then jump to within 10secs
> of the end of the track, and perhaps some proportional jumps like 10% of
> track... Part of the problem is that fastforward/rewind gives no progress
> feedback at all for blind users, because of the issue with pausing. But
> beyond that, a tool to move around big tracks might be useful.

Perhaps the study mode / tracklock and its configurable steps could be a
good starting point for that?

> -Spontaneous battery level warning, say at 50% and 20%.

oh, yes! really nice!

--
Sof
http://www.sof-paradise.info/