Subject: Re: Voice patches

Re: Voice patches

From: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 11:04:13 +0100

On 8 Oct 2007, at 04:43, Stéphane Doyon wrote:
> Could you give me references? I'm aware of Soundtouch.

(1) Vupp, from the Swedish library for the blind "TPB" (not really
published anywhere public, as far as I know)
(2) MFFM, an implementation of the WSOLA algorithm (http://
sourceforge.net/projects/mffmtimescale)

I came across SoundTouch when I was using Audacity. I am not entirely
sure SoundTouch does real-time timescale modification with the
required level of performance under low processing power.

> Nicolas said he was happy to release his implementation under the
> GPL, so integrating it into Rockbox officially is quite possible.

That's really positive ! Keep-up the good work and let us know ! :)

What's the voice quality like ? Is there any noticeable "robotic"
distortion ?

> My current integration of that implementation into Rockbox is
> rather rough.

Is it a Rockbox plugin, or did you need to hack the core ? I would
love to see the code, as I need to make progress on codec playback
from a plugin.

> Why play from a plugin? Or is this just a step in your development
> strategy.

I don't see Daisy playback as a core feature of Rockbox. A plugin
application (configured as a viewer for NCC or NCX navigation files)
would do just fine in my opinion. As a standalone application, it
would be easier to maintain and could be updated regularly without
any impact on the core.

Regards, Daniel.