Subject: Re: Iriver with 160GB drive

Re: Iriver with 160GB drive

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:24:13 +0100

john wrote:
> I wonder if just plugging a 80GB drive into an Iriver might work. I
> guess, the boot loader of the IPOD has been patched for the 80GB
> drive. But what about the boot loader for the Irivers, IAudios and
> Gigabeats? And does rockbox on all platforms automatically support the
> 80GB drive?

The 5.5G problems are specific to the drive that ships with the iPod,
and is not a general 80GB problem. Rockbox has no issues with 80GB
drives in general. Other people have fitted 80GB drives in irivers
without problems.

> And what about the 160GB drive? ATA 28 Bit addressing might be a
> problem, limiting access to 137GB. But didn't I read that the 80GB
> drive uses 1kb blocks? Does this mean, that the limit is 274GB, so the
> 160GB drive would work out of the box with rockbox in an IPOD 5.5?

Rockbox can do 48-bit LBA addressing, so there is no problem there. The
problem is instead that the USB-ATA chip on the iriver cannot handle
LBA48, so you can't access the entire drive over USB. You will have to
partition the drive so that the space > 128GB is dedicated to Rockbox.
Not very convenient.

Linus