Subject: Re: Reusing open-source Neuros DM320 code (m:robe port)

Re: Reusing open-source Neuros DM320 code (m:robe port)

From: Adam Torgerson <adam.torgerson_at_colorado.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 15:01:00 -0700

Catalin Patulea wrote:
> Neuros previously used proprietary Linux kernel modules to accomplish
> this, but "darchon", one of the Neuros hackers, has developed an
> open-source alternative
> (http://darchon.net/arm-dsp_bridge/arm-dsp_bridge.html). I don't know
> if it works, but it looks fairly well-planned and documented. We
> wouldn't be able to reuse the Linux side of the DSP "bridge" (as they
> call it) but the DSP-side code should be usable unchanged. Maintaining
> the same interface would also allow interoperability and accelerate
> codec development that can be shared by both communities.

This was a Summer of Code project I was mentoring. It does work, but we
haven't gotten any codecs running on it, nor have we really tried. The
Linux side code should be documented enough to figure out the ARM->DSP
communications registers and memory addresses. Let me know if you need
further clarifications of such low-level details.

TI also gave the Neuros community a licensed copy of CCS (their compiler
for DSP development). We might be able to transfer access to that to you
for a short time for development of c54x DSP serial port/DAC code. You
could also just use it to generate assembly files for the binutils c54x
assembler to handle. If you are interested, let me know, and we'll see
if we can work something out.

> The only problem is the license. Please take a look at the attached
> "COPYING" file from
> https://svn.neurostechnology.com/hackers/darchon/arm-dsp_bridge/bridgelib/COPYING.
> Can Rockbox use this code?

I think so, it's just a BSD-type copyright license.

Adam Torgerson