Subject: Re: Beeping notifications

Re: Beeping notifications

From: Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton47_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 19:07:53 +1100

On 7/11/2007 6:19 PM, pondlife wrote:
> In general, I don't like beeping. It suffers from several technical issues
> and doesn't always work reliably due to fades and other buffer clears.

Yes I know. But surely for stuff like charging and hitting the end of
the edit line in those letter screens is ok?
I have never seen the charger one fail. Yes I understand with a list.
But I think if we could get this working all the time it would be quite
nice.
Letting you know you have wrapped around is kind of helpful.

> Best IMHO to use the voice system where possible.

I disagree. Would you prefer to hear a quick beep? It would just show
you that something has happened or the message "charger inserted."
Think about it in this situation:
You are listening to music.
You hear the battery level has hit 10% and you want plenty of battery
for tomorrow.
So you continue listening to your music and plug your charger in.

A beep is short and not annoying.

Where as a voice message fades out the music and then says a longer message.

What do you think about what I am saying?

> I'd happily have the charger inserted/removed as voiced messages.

Really? I would find that annoying honestly.
I removed it for that reason.

Maybe we should just load a certain sound when this is required? I'm
sure there would be a nice sound on linux we could use for this stuff.
Might experiment a bit.

> I don't see that there's a need for noting the top or bottom of lists, but
> that might be because I don't have a scrollwheel. With buttons, you can
> happily wrap ro und, so as long as the selected item is voiced, it's easy to
> tell where you are.

True but on my h300 I wouldn't mind knowing I have wrapped back around.
The ipod uses a clicking sound when spinning the click wheel in the of.
Maybe we could do something like this in rockbox for each button press?
Like up and down.

And the last thing I want to say is maybe a beep when rec is pressed and
recording starts.
That's a good idea because a blind user could tell that it is recording
and there press went through.
I know we can't do this now but I'll look in to it.

I think there was a feature request for this.
Oh there was.
http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/7852

-- Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/