Subject: -mfpu=fpa

-mfpu=fpa

From: Catalin Patulea <cat_at_vv.carleton.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:52:11 -0500

Hey guys,

I'm working on some code for the m:robe and I noticed that the current
assembler for the m:robe target (arm9tdmi) doesn't support the BKPT
instruction. I forget exactly what error message I get, but using
"-mcpu=arm926ej-s" solved the problem (which makes sense, because
that's a closer match to the CPU in the m:robe). I ended up getting a
different error at that point, regarding heterogenous use of
floating-point instructions. I found that compiling all of Rockbox
with "-mfpu=fpa" solved that problem as well. The resulting code seems
to run, though I haven't really tested much. I think the code size
also decreased marginally.

My question is: why do I need -mfpu=fpa and is it safe to check in a
change like that? Does Rockbox use floating-point? I can dig up the
actual error messages if you think they're valuable.

-Cat