Subject: Strong Cryptography

Strong Cryptography

From: Joshua Simmons <>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:11:15 -0500

I posted this question to the forums, but I was told that asking on this
mailing list would be better.

I am considering writing a plugin which would make use of strong
cryptographic algorithms such as AES, Twofish, Whirlpool, and SHA-2
(basically just the standard strong encryption and hash algorithms). I am
curious if Rockbox has a policy concerning this. I can't seem to find
anything in searches, but is there precedent for this?

Also, what country is Rockbox based in? I could better check out the legal
ramifications for myself if I knew that (I'm from America and our
cryptography export laws suck, to put it bluntly).

In case anyone is curious, Wikipedia has a page on Export of
is somewhat informative (and the external links also).