Subject: Re: Strong Cryptography

Re: Strong Cryptography

From: Joshua Simmons <mud_at_majidejima.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:58:30 -0500

On 11/19/07, Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/11/2007, Joshua Simmons <mud_at_majidejima.com> wrote:
> > I posted this question to the forums, but I was told that asking on this
> > mailing list would be better.
> >
> > I am considering writing a plugin which would make use of strong
> > cryptographic algorithms such as AES, Twofish, Whirlpool, and SHA-2
> > (basically just the standard strong encryption and hash algorithms). I
> am
> > curious if Rockbox has a policy concerning this. I can't seem to find
> > anything in searches, but is there precedent for this?
>
> What would you want cryptography for on your DAP?

The first application I had in mind was for a password generator and storage
plugin (I keep my DAP with me almost always, and it would be a great aid in
having many secure passwords without having to remember them all). Another
application would be for an encrypting file archiver, although this might be
limited somewhat in speed, depending on the device (it might only work
quickly enough for relatively small files).

DAPs seem to be to be prime candidates for encryption technology, since
their only real downfall as sensitive-information-storage devices is their
tendency to disappear into someone else's hands.

> > Also, what country is Rockbox based in? I could better check out the
> legal
> > ramifications for myself if I knew that (I'm from America and our
> > cryptography export laws suck, to put it bluntly).
> >
> > In case anyone is curious, Wikipedia has a page on Export of
> Cryptography
> > which is somewhat informative (and the external links also).
> >
> > -mud
> >

> Rockbox is based in Sweden, and usually any code that is
> GPL-compatible would be acceptable

That is good to hear.