Subject: Re: Strong Cryptography

Re: Strong Cryptography

From: Neon John <jgd_at_neon-john.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 05:14:20 -0500

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:21:36 -0500, "Joshua Simmons" <mud_at_majidejima.com> wrote:

>On 11/20/07, Manuel Dejonghe <manuel_at_dejonghe.de> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 21, 2007 12:26 AM, Joshua Simmons <mud_at_majidejima.com> wrote:
>> > And finally, at some point I read something about rockbox having a morse
>> > code input system, that might be useful to those people who know morse
>> code
>>
>> That might by the worst idea, since it can be very easy to eavesdrop
>> the clicking of buttons. I can prevent someone else watches my hand or
>> the screen, but it's hard to make the clicking silent enough.
>

>Yes, you are probably right, that might not be a great idea.

Y'all are complicating a BJ again. The standard on-screen keyboard is perfectly
adequate for this task. Unlike a computer display, the screen of a player is
practically unviewable from more than a couple feet away. Make the password display
line a fairly small typeface and provide the option of displaying the actual password
as it is typed (my option) or asterisks.

If some mythological evil-doer who cares enough about your personal information to
try to look over your shoulder ever materializes, then simply turn away to enter the
password or just wait until he leaves.

IMO, gestures is a bad idea for several reasons. One, it isn't portable across all
hardware since different players have vastly different number of inputs. Second, it
is something that those of us with dexterity handicaps can't do, especially if the
gestures are required to be done in a certain minimum interval. The standard RockBox
on-screen keyboard can be operated by anyone who can read and is portable across all
platforms.

I like the idea of strong encryption on my JBR, especially if it is incorporated into
the recording/playing system. I use my JBR for interviews on occasion and being able
to encrypt the audio file to preserve the privacy of the interviewee would be very
useful. It would be even more useful if a corresponding program for host computers
were also available. On-the-fly encryption would be ideal but I could live with
post-recording encryption as long as the encryption over-wrote the "plain text" audio
sectors.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.johndearmond.com <-- best little blog on the net!
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
Okay, okay, I'll take it back ... UNfuck you!