Subject: Re: Integrating TI CG tools

Re: Integrating TI CG tools

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:34:01 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Catalin Patulea wrote:

> There are at least two issues with it that I would appreciate feedback on:
> - It's not platform-selective. Right now, it's in the dependency tree
> for all platforms. I'm guessing all it would take to fix this is some
> sort of ifdef on the dependency at firmware/Makefile line 27. What can
> I test in the Makefile for the platform?

You can, but I consider it nicer if you check for a particular value or config
that is set in the configure that isn't the exact model number/name. So that
for example future dms320-targets can take advantage of the fix without adding
the target names to the test.

> - Because I'm using recursive make, the dependencies aren't quite right.
> There's a workaround in place at firmware/Makefile line 52 (the source files
> are dependencies of the top-level rule). Without that workaround, if I
> change, say registers.h and type "make" in the build directory, Rockbox
> doesn't get rebuilt (because registers.h isn't in the top-level dsp-image.h
> rule).

That's a general problem we have in several places in the build system
actually, but it is a hard nut and so far we've mostly closed our eyes for the
issues and tried to live on anyway! ;-) (There's even a dedicated hack in
make.inc to fix the lang.h problem that is similar.)

My biggest thought when I read the patch was: why is this generating a .h
file? Isn't that stuff generating some kind of data or something that is
better (more accurately) placed in a .c file?