Subject: Re: Voice patches

Re: Voice patches

From: Stéphane Doyon <s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:57:04 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Tom Cole wrote:

>> Bookmark.c had the following comment which I'm simply ignoring:
>> /* disabled, because transition between talkbox and voice UI clip is not nice */
>> #if 0
>> So quite possibly there was a good reason for this, in which case I need
>> to find appropriate fallback behavior for HWCODEC.
>
> When I played around with this some time ago, I found that the MAS MP3
> decoder would hiccup and loose one or two syllables when transitioning
> between talkbox clips and Voice UI clips.
>
> I found that this could be cured by ensuring that similar Lame
> parameters were used for encoding both the .talk files and the Voice UI.
> The parameters actually used were quite different, as the Voice UI
> required that the clips were as short as possible so that the packed
> module would fit into the available memory.

Ah. This explains things. And so I guess using different parameters would
be a common practice. In that case I guess I wil have to #ifdef out the
speaking of the thumbnails from my bookmark patch for HWCODEC.

Unless some mp3 guru knows a way around this... perhaps inserting some
noop frames to get it to reset...

> I hope that you find this information helpful.

Very. Thanks for taking the time.

--
Stéphane Doyon
<s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>