Subject: Re: question about information in wiki

Re: question about information in wiki

From: XavierGr <xaviergr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 04:58:24 +0200

> e.. ok i understand that part but my question is. Surely if the hold
> switch
> > is on that is designed to lock the player so that it doesn't
> accidentally get
> > switched on say in our pocket. So if this is still the case how are you
> > supposed to switch it on with the hold switch in the on position? or is
> the
> > function of the switch slightly changed?

If the unit is locked (hold on), you press Play and the boot menu appears.
While locked the player won't be able to do anything but show this boot
menu. So in order to choose one of the options you have to unlock the unit
(hold off).

Now in the case that you have the unit locked (hold on) in your bag and
accidentally the unit starts up, the default option is to shutdown after 15
seconds of inactivity. So in the end, you don't have to worry if the unit
starts up accidentally, the boot menu will shut down by default.

> also could someone please tell me if i do run rockbox from rom where
> should i
> > store the .voice file for the speech? as i'm guessing once rockbox is
> running
> > from rom you don't really need the rockbox folder on the disc.

While the firmware file is run from the ROM (or RAM if you choose so) not
all contents are stored there. You will still need the rockbox folder for
all other things, like fonts, language files etc. So in the end you will
have to keep the voice files in their folder like normal operation.

Are you sure that you want to run rockbox from ROM? While running from ROM
will save you some memory for audio buffering, keep in mind that rockbox
will run a little slower compared to executing from RAM (someone correct me
if I am wrong). In my opinion the gain is too small for targets that have
plenty or RAM (like H120/140).