Subject: Re: updating the gui for viewports

Re: updating the gui for viewports

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:49:58 -0800

On 31/12/2007, Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

Attached is a patch which should apply cleanly after applying the
viewports patch. compile the e200 sim and have a look at the
windowmanager plugin, its basically a simple example of what I was
talking about in the last email.

Its not perfect and needs more work, but I think it shows enough to at
least get some more discussion happening.

When you start the plugin you have the "status bar" at the top which
refreshes every 100 ticks and shows the counter to prove it. the green
part is where the "list" screens would go, thats only redrawn when it
needs to.
If you press Num-1 (power) the statusbar will disappear and the list
wil use the whole screen, but the list doesn't know anything about the
statusbar.. thats completely controlled by the WM.
lastly, press NUM-5 and a splash will come up which will either
disappear when you press any button (possibly a bug.. its because it
doesn't have a button function so the list gets the focus still, but
this can be fixed if this behaviour isn't wanted....) or after about
5s.

So, already with this simple example you remove one big annoyance in
the current code that each screen has to manually redraw the
statusbar, and know about the other stuff on the screen.

Now, targets without a suitable screen (or when some define isnt
defined) the plugin is pretty much the extent of how the code would
look in the core, so you only ever have one screen and the statusbar,
and they take up the full screen. But on the rest, we can go nuts and
allow stuff like having the menu screen have the status bar at the
top, menu in the middle, AA on the right and track info at the bottom
(example.....)

does my first post make slightly more sense with this patch?
Jonathan