Subject: IDE to ZIF adapter available, Iriver with 80GB MK8009GAH

IDE to ZIF adapter available, Iriver with 80GB MK8009GAH

From: john <ruttmannn_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:18:25 +0100

Hi

If you followed the thread you know that I was planning to develop a
IDE-ZIF adapter, so that new PATA ZIF drives can be used in old
players like the iriver, iaudio and older ipods. A few weeks ago I
called a german supplier (ES&S Kabel) for ordering the IDE and ZIF
connectors. For my surprise this company did already develop such an
adapter. They also offered my to send my one of the adapters from the
first series of 10 pieces. The unit is not officially released yet, so
you will not find it on their web page, but it is ready and
functional. They told me, they bought old ipods from ebay with defect
hard disks to test it. No problems, which makes me curious, as this
would mean, that the firmware of the old ipods knows about the special
block addressing (1k boundaries) of the MK8009GAH drive.

The price is about 27 Euros for one piece and about 18 Euros when
ordering a quantities of 50. However, they do not normally sell to
consumers, but only to dealers and companies. As my company is already
a customer of them, I would receive it as kind of an engineering
sample.

Whatever: A fully functional adapter is now available. This means at
least two things. Firstly I will no longer try to develop one by
myself. Secondly I would like to integrate the special 1k boundary
adressing of the MK8009GAH drive into all platforms, that have a PATA
connector (IDE and ZIF).

Anybody wanting to help, as I did only very small patches in the
rockbox firmware before?

cu
John