Subject: Re: running a build server

Re: running a build server

From: Mark Allums <mark_at_allums.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:29:15 -0600

RaeNye wrote:
>>> Virtual PC is free. No other advantage.
>> So is VMWare Server.
>
> So is colinux, which is IMHO a perfect solution for this.
> colinux practically avoids virtualization overhead by not
> using virtualization at all by running a (modified) linux
> kernel as a win32 process.
> It can run as a service (so you can set it to auto-start).
> It may use a physical partition or a file-based block device.

I have tried colinux. I was never smart enough to make it work. The
networking never worked, and without that, X wouldn't start. I guess
you don't need X, but you do need the network connection to run a server.

I didn't know about VMWare server. I have always used Workstation,
which is about $189, if I recall correctly.

Running a server may technically violate the terms-of-service for his
internet connection. It does mine. That, and the fact that my
connection is not 24/7 has kept me from setting up a build sever. I am
currently experimenting with EV-DO wireless, but while it is faster than
dialup, it disconnects me without notice quite often. It is not
intended for heavy-duty use.

I do have a serious question, which I will get around to asking
eventually, but I will start a new thread for it.

Thanks for being tolerant of the new guy--ME.

--MArk Allums