Subject: Re: running a build server

Re: running a build server

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:07:32 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, alex wallis wrote:

Please don't top-post.

> Surely every little helps, and lessens the work on the rest of the servers
> for each new one added.

No, that's not entirely so. Due to how the build master works, it hands out
complete builds to each server and it only hands out each build to one server.
That means that if all other builds are complete, the entire build round will
wait for the final server to complete its last build.

I do plan and hope to have this design improved, but until it is we need to
keep even the slowest participating server quite fast.

> But anyway aside from that what is the biggest rb build that needs to be
> built, so that I can run a timed test myself and see if it does build in
> less than 150 seconds.

The X5 or H300 simulator builds perhaps.

> I should add at this point in case it would make the test invalid, that at
> the moment i build my own code under cygwin, so I don't no if that affects
> the build time a lot, though I no it does a little bit.

Again, how you code your rockbox code is not relevant. The build server needs
to be a Linux (or other another compliant OS but not native windows) and all
builds done by the build server are done by a local user named "rbclient" that
has its own SVN tree checkout and it builds stuff entirely separate from all
others builds you happend to do or not do on that hardware.