Subject: Re: problem with starting virtual machine to run build server

Re: problem with starting virtual machine to run build server

From: Mike Holden <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:28:50 -0000 (UTC)

alex wallis wrote:
> Hi.
> Ok i figured out how to set the virtual machine up. I have also mounted
> the
> vmdk file no problem.
> However when I try to power up the machine I get the following error
> Cannot open the disk 'c:\virtual machines\other linux 2.6.x kernel\Other
> Linux 2.6.x kernel.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.
> Reason: Failed to lock the file.

Can't give you any specific help, but I would suggest the following
initial checks, in lieu of anythnig more specific:

1. Check that the file exists, and is at that exact location.
2. Spaces in filenames and directory names can cause problems, so check
whether that is an issue
3. Check that the file and all directories leading to it have appropriate
permissions for the person trying to run it.

Mike Holden - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted
items, including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts