Subject: Re: using colinux with rockbox

Re: using colinux with rockbox

From: David Hall <dmhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:57:57 -0500

I ran coLinux quite successfully for many months on a 450 Mhz Windows
2000 machine with 320 megs of RAM. It took me forty minutes to compile
an iPod Video Rockbox build. As for the claim it is not a "full
operating system" I'm not sure what it lacks. There is not an X windows
system in the Rockbox distributed coLinux - but we don't need one.

Screen readers are a subject I am not fit to speak to unfortunately.

Earlier posts by you, Alex, to this mailing list lead me to believe you
have a multi ghz processor and 512 megs of RAM. You should be able to
run console Linux in VMWare just fine.
Again, I can not speak as to screen readers.

The only (and I stress only) reason I was drawn to coLinux was because
my previous computer was not supported by VMWare. That being said
coLinux might run faster than VMWare on your machine - a gain I feel is
most likely offset by the larger user base for VMWare and the better
community technical support that implies. In my humble opinion, a
beginner like you with the added technical hurdles screen reading
software entails wants the most popular solution if only for community
support. Who cares if Rockbox takes 30 minutes to build instead of 20?
  You want a bulletproof Toyota, not a Ferrari which spends most its
time at the mechanic. (note: I made up the build time numbers.)

--Soap