Subject: virtualization on Windows - Re: using colinux with rockbox

virtualization on Windows - Re: using colinux with rockbox

From: Mark Allums <mark_at_allums.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 06:52:58 -0600

Rene Peinthor wrote:
> I'm wondering why nobody yet suggested Virtualbox[1].
> It has a free non commercial license and is a very good and fast Virtual
> Machine.
>
> You can have almost all Linux distributions as guest and it can also
> install the guest system on a native hard drive to avoid the use of 2
> file systems. And by the way it's very easy to use.
>
> [1] http://www.virtualbox.org/

Good suggestion. I suppose this one is worth a try. I will check it
out. But, it has one small thing not in its favor. Just as many people
will not use Virtual PC because it is a Microsoft Product, Virtualbox is
a Sun product, now, and that turns some people off. Sun talks a good
story about contributions to free and open source*, but they don't
always measure up to their own hype. IMO. YMMV.

--Mark Allums**

* Although, Virtualbox is GPL'd.

** I suppose a lot more of this type of discussion, and we should take
it to a different list or forum. It's kinda got off-topic, which is
about setting up a build environment for Rockbox. No longer appropriate
for Rockbox-dev.