Subject: Re: Plugging an Iriver H140 to a braille terminal

Re: Plugging an Iriver H140 to a braille terminal

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:26:21 +0100

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:50 PM, S├ębastien Hinderer
<Sebastien.Hinderer_at_ens-lyon.org> wrote:
> Would it be possible to plug the braille terminal to the MP3 player in
> place of the usual remote control ?

no, not without additional hardware / software.

> Is the plug used to connect the remote control standard ?

no.

> Any hope to go from this kind of plug to a serial or parallel one ?

well, you could add some self-built hardware to do that. The LCD is
connected using an SPI interface, the buttons use a resistor network.

> Given that the braille display embeds Linux and is fully programmable,
> this would allow one to use the terminal as a remote control, displaying
> the information in braille and driving the MP3 player from the braille
> keyboard.

well, you could build some hardware around the interface of the player
to interface with the braille. But I don't think this would be an easy
task. Yet interesting.

 - Dominik