Subject: Re: gsoc2008 - Organization Application [DRAFT]

Re: gsoc2008 - Organization Application [DRAFT]

From: Mike Giacomelli <giac2000_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 20:05:13 -0500

I recommend talking up our achievements last year more so that we sound
better:

5. Did your organization participate in previous GSoC years? If so, please
summarize your involvement and the successes and failures of your student
projects. (optional)

We took part of the program last year (2007) in which we got four projects
accepted. We developed some code that was extremely useful to our project as
well as to others. Our new fixed point WMA decoder has made rockbox more
useful for our users, was incorporated into the Open Neuros project, and has
attracted attention from other groups. We also hope to see it included in
ffmpeg once it is mature enough to be merged into their current decoder.
Our metadata buffering project led to support for album art in rockbox and
paved the way for further improvements in our playback system. Finally, the
USB project took some initial steps towards for a flexible software USB
stack which is currently under active development. Unfortunately, one
project, a text to speech engine did not succeed.

Over all I think gsoc2007 gave us a real boost and we learned a lot about
the progress and how to act as mentors etc to bring with us for this year.
We hope that the experience we got will make all projects we get this year
succeed!