Subject: Re: building bootloader from source (h300)

Re: building bootloader from source (h300)

From: Daniel Dalton <>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 17:16:17 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Dominik Riebeling wrote:

>> What equipment is needed? And what is the process of unbricking a h300?
>> Is it a long and complicated process...?
> You need to access the debug module of the CPU from "outside", i.e.
> via hardware. Freescale calls this part of the hardware BDM
> (Background Debug Module), other manufacturers often call it JTAG
> (though JTAG itself is only the working group, usually it refers to
> IEEE 1149.1). A device for accessing this hardware port is usually
> processor-specific (at best family-specific) and usually not too
> cheap. A starting point for reading up is

Sounds complicated. Not sure I'll go to all that effort since I guess I
will need a lot of sighted help...
I should probably stick to voice hacks instead of testing unstable
Although I haven't done much work for around 6 months and not sure when I
will be doing any more...
I don't think it will be soon though sadly.

> in case you're
> interested.

I'll take a look. sure.

> In case of the H300 this means you need to open the player and solder
> several wires to connect the BDM. Due to the size of actual circuits
> this isn't an easy task even for sighted people.

Yes I can imagine... I'm just ok at soldering... So not prepaired to start
soldering my h300, I'll probably do something terribly wrong... :-)

Daniel Dalton