Subject: RE: Settings as a plugin

RE: Settings as a plugin

From: <mark_at_allums.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 23:14:32 -0700

> > You are always quite harsh when replying.
>
> You seem to have misunderstood entirely. Try re-reading what I said
> without the bias. All I did was ask a simple question. If you saw it,
> perhaps on an exam, would you feel that the piece of paper was being
> harsh toward you?
>
> I was curious what you hoped would be gained by splitting it that way so
> that I could better understand what you were saying, because your
> statements were not clear. Please explain to me what method, other than
> asking, I have for obtaining more information from you?
>
> Given the fact that I did not understand at all what you were
> suggesting, I admitted my lack of knowledge, and then asked for further
> explanation.
>
> This is a constant frustration I have. Why did you assume any tone to
> what I said? It was a simple request for more information after
> admitting that I had no understanding whatsoever of the reasoning behind
> your suggestion. It seems very straightforward to me. Please, tell me,
> which of these words has a negative meaning in English that was directed
> toward you? All I see mention of is *my* lack of understanding.

Sorry. I agree that it is hard to detect a tone in text messages. My
interpretation of harshness is based on the observation that a couple of
times now you asked questions or made comments that lacked any empathy
or tact. Perhaps I don't understand something correctly; however, if
you detect that I am missing the point, you could ignore my suggestion,
or patiently explain what is wrong with it. Instead, you ask an
unhelpful question in an unhelpful way. Perhaps I am reading too much
into it. You might take note that you have a constant frustration. Am
I the sole source of your frustration? If so, you can nip it in the bud
yourself by ignoring my posts. I can perhaps help by posting very
rarely.

I still would like to know what you think is the best way to get started
understanding the Rockbox source. I may not be good for much more than
a UI patch or two, lacking the higher math needed to write a serious
sound decoder or signal processor. But I might could do a few useful
tasks. <sarcasm> I know C well enough to write hello.c at least.
</sarcasm>

--MAA