Subject: Re: question about tracker e mails to the list

Re: question about tracker e mails to the list

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_rockbox.open.source.it>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:12:31 +0100

On Saturday 21 June 2008 12:31, Alex Parker wrote:

> 2008/6/21 Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>:
> > Now, we have MANY features already included and yet we have MANY open
> > feature requests. I'll be bold and say that most of the feature requests
> > in there today are pointless or crappy and will never be implemented and
> > I doubt many devs look in there for "inspiration" when there's a little
> > time over in their schedules.
> >
> > I actually don't really see the point in having the feature-request
> > tracker nowadays. It would be better if people took their new ideas and
> > discussed them on one of the mailing lists instead.
>
> I completely agree with the usefulness or otherwise now. I think there was
> little point in feature request e-mails before, and even less now.

As someone who has posted to the feature-request tracker (and had a reasonable
number of positive follow-up comments from other people agreeing that they
would like the feature too), I think it would be helpful / polite if the
people who make the decisions about whether to implement these things would:

a) close down the list if they don't intend to do anything with the ideas
expressed there

or at least

b) respond to the posting which are deemed "pointless or crappy and will never
be implemented" so that at least people know that, and they don't hang around
for years as open requests on the list.

On a similar vein, I can't quite work out what the system is for the bugs
tracker - once someone has posted a bug and confirmed the circumstances and
how to reproduce it, is there any mechanism for scheduling a fix into the
workstream, or allocating the fix to someone who knows that part of the code,
etc? I know this is an open source project run by volunteer developers, and
nobody can be told what to do, but I'm just wondering what mechanism is used
to try to get action on confirmed bugs which are in the system?

Regards,

Antony.

those who understand binary notation,
and those who don't.