Subject: Re: question about tracker e mails to the list

Re: question about tracker e mails to the list

From: Antony Stone <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:10:32 +0100

On Saturday 21 June 2008 15:57, Paul Louden wrote:

> Antony Stone wrote:
> > a) close down the list if they don't intend to do anything with the ideas
> > expressed there
> The way you've phrased this, it sounds like somehow someone's obligated
> to follow up on feature requests.

No, I simply meant that if the requests are never going to be implemented, why
provide a mechanism for making them? It raises false hope.

> Even if we never, ever, ever intended to do anything about them, wouldn't
> they possibly still be valuable as a repository of ideas for new people
> interested in working on the project?

If that's what the instructions for the feature request at said then I'd be
quite happy, if this is how the postings are indeed regarded.

> > b) respond to the posting which are deemed "pointless or crappy and will
> > never be implemented" so that at least people know that, and they don't
> > hang around for years as open requests on the list.
> We do this already, the problem is there are many, many, many cases
> where, for example, I think it's a crappy, horrible, terrible idea but I
> know I shouldn't reject it outright simply because it's not my project
> and while I don't like it, maybe I can at least voice my concerns so
> that if someone does work on it, it finds its way in in a manner that's
> at least more suitable, and helps make more people (on average) happy.

At present the wording suggests that if you post a feature request which
several people want and is not impossible given hardware constraints then it
will get a response of either "we don't think this is a good idea so we won't
do it" or "we think this is a good idea but we don't have time to do it",
however if the reality is that it actually gets largely ignored and receives
no response whatever then I think the description of what the feature request
tracker is for should make that clearer.

"Black holes are where God divided by zero."
 - Steven Wright
                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.