Subject: Re: question about tracker e mails to the list

Re: question about tracker e mails to the list

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_rockbox.open.source.it>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:53:08 +0100

On Sunday 22 June 2008 11:18, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> I want to somehow raise the bar and make it harder to get new
> features added to that list. That would make the list a lot more useful to
> us all.

Is it necessarily true that making it harder to add requests results in only
the best requests getting added?

(Where "best" is defined however you want for the list to be "a lot more
useful to us all".)

Personally I think it should be no harder than it is now for people to suggest
feature requests, perhaps they should be rather more forced to go through the
hoops of (a) searching the manual and (b) searching the existing requests, to
make sure it hasn't been already implemented or previously suggested, but
then any features which the developers deem "not useful" (according to
whatever definition you had in mind above) are simply marked as such and then
stay on the list to avoid future people adding them again.

I think it's important to ensure that whatever "bar raising" methods are
employed actually result in the filter that you wanted, and not just "we only
accept requests from this group of people" or "we only accept requests from
people who have read the source code to find out how to post feature
requests" etc.

Antony.

--
God sent his only son into this world to be crucified.
Christian parents may wish to reflect upon this as a role model.